What Are You Up To?

My real website: www.whatareyouguysupto.com.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Great Grandma Travels Along To Missouri: She hasn't lost her touch


We had the Hanson's at our home in Minnesota for Memorial Day. Fun times. While they were all there, I invited Grandma Doris to Missouri with me for company on the 8 hour drive later that week for a few days. It was a nice little get away and an opportunity for her to meet her great grandkids on their turf. Lasha was beside herself with excitement. I had to sleep on the couch. But, even with all that, I was so glad she came. I really needed the help. Clara and Annika equal 4 children, then bring in Ava the Innovator and you have one busy household. Shammai came with and he and Gabe were pretty self sufficient. But, you know, we didn't do much because the baby was sleeping eating or Clara was napping or eating. Doris fed Annika a lot, put her to sleep while I ran after Clara and Ava. I carried the baby upstairs where she slept for a few short hours just to wake up and do it all over again. She's a great baby, so it was fun for Grandma Doris to be able to love her up. Grandma hasn't lost her touch by the way. She could put baby Annika to sleep in a matter of minutes. She made sure to keep her all bundled up and warm, which of course these babies love.

While in Missouri we were able to celebrate Lasha's birthday. Joe brought us all to Shrouds, for their famous home cooking...we all had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans.  I also put together Clara's B Day present from May 18. I got her a quite large swimming pool and the boys helped me put it together. They swept the deck off and got it ready for me. The pool was a hit with all of them. It was hot there and humid like Missouri often is.
On the way home I purposed to stop off at one of the hot spots along the way, John Wayne's Birthplace or the Covered Bridges of Bridges of Madison County fame. Before we were 20 minutes out of Liberty I spied the Birth Place and Museum of Jesse James. So, we agreed that we'd stop before we got too tired. It was awesome. Shammai had no idea who Jesse James was, so he got a history lesson. He was really upset that we couldn't stay to hear how Jesse's mom Zerelda lost her arm. I assured him we could either look it up or we could stay longer the next time we went to Libery.

Oh, the other funny thing. I was bragging about the roadtrip game I invented. The one where you made a sentence out of the name of a town...ie. Albany: the coat was part fox, not All Bunny. Anyway, Shammai saw the sign for Holt/Lawson along. He was quiet for a bit until finally he said, Hey Gramma... How about this: Holt: It's the Law Son.... Ohhhhhh I laughed good on that one. Nice job Shammi!
We were blessed to be able to take Ava home with us for a few weeks of undivided attention. She is still here and we are having so much fun. Dennis the shark plays with them in the pool. They whine for me to come in, so I can play the crab. They realized what they said shortly after and from then on I was the Octopus. The kids swam in between working with Grandpa tearing out fence posts. Shammai learned to drive the bobcat...Ava got shotgun. He assured me all was fine as he walked along side spraying weedkiller into the grass. Not sure what about that experience was healthy or safe, but they are all in one piece as of this writing. But I remember my dad saying he drove the tractor when he was 7, so I suspect it is a good learning experience for boys and girls alike.

While back in Minnesota, the weather went from 102 to 48 in one week. So it was pool time and buying sunscreen to outside playing and buying sweatshirts at Shopko. Minnesota at its finest. The flowers are responding well to the rain and the cool however. At least it will be a colorful summer.

Ava asked for only one thing to eat while here: Crap in a can. Better known as ravioli in a can. Shammai has mac and cheese. Both are great kids to have around and we think we will keep them.

Well, early summer is festival time. Sartell Summerfest and St. Cloud has a few. We will be out and about.
Love having the kids here... such a blessing filling up grandpa and grandma's empty nest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home